Who should attend the course?
The course would suit anyone with a reasonable understanding of Excel (e.g. how to format, use functions and keyboard shortcuts), who is interested in learning about how VBA can save them extensive amounts of time in their role. It is light on mathematical content, so to be accessible and suitable for attendees from many backgrounds, who have an interest in learning what VBA can do for them. No prior coding experience is required.
As the natural programming language embedded within Microsoft Office, VBA solutions continue to be widely implemented and supported by global institutions. The purpose of this active 2-day program is to gain a solid understanding of how Excel VBA can save valuable time, through automation of repetitive Excel tasks. The first day of the course focusses on core skills, designed to build up programming confidence, where we spend a good amount of time on best practice language structure and syntax. The second day applies the acquired skill set (and much more) to a real-life data project, where we automate the extraction and processing of mutual fund data.
- Record, write, edit, test and run VBA Sub Procedures (macros) with confidence, including working with Data & Object Variables, Conditionals & Loops, Message / Input Boxes, and Error Handling
- Write and apply User Defined Functions (UDFs) to solve business problems
- Implement useful Event Procedures
- Build UserForms to enhance usability
Day 1 - Learning the Language
- Introduction to Macros
- Tour of the Visual Basic Editor (VBE)
- Best Practice Writing and Editing of Code
- Variables and Data Types
- User Interaction
- Controlling Flow and Making Decisions
- Code Efficiency
- Error Handling
- Event Procedures
Day 2 - Data Project
- User Defined Functions (UDFs)
- Nested IF and Select Case
- Guided Project: Data Importing and Processing
- The focus of this real-world project is on importing mutual fund data from external files and processing it.
"I like that the public courses are supported by online training. I can learn at my own pace and time, which has helped increase my confidence in the work that I do." ~ research analyst, global financial institution
While this is a face to face training course, a blended learning approach is taken and delegates will be provided with access to DELTA. Our study materials contain both the knowledge and practice materials required to assist with the learning process and help you in your job role. Course materials include:
- case studies
- 24/7 access to DELTA online learning environment
- online videos
This course is open to all and no prior coding experience is required. However, to maximize the benefit of this course we recommend an understanding of Microsoft Excel.